Friday, July 6, 2012

Best of Mike #140

We were on our way back to the boat on an afternoon dive.

I was thinking about folding up my camera, in preparation for the exit.... when I spotted this Conch all alone on the bottom.

I liked the colors of the shell against the plain sandy bottom.... so I moved in to frame the pixture.

That's when I noticed the eyes.... watching to see what I was up to.

Conch are the larger members of the underwater snail family.

Their meat is eaten.... both raw and cooked.

Their shells have many uses.... a musical instrument (blown much like a trumpet), decoration, planters, art, jewelry, gravestones, on the tops of walls for security and as building materials.... either in bricks or as bulk in landfill.

Like many things that pretty and that useful.... they are often over-fished.

Many Caribbean countries have closed their Conch fisheries and banned their export.

Other countries have banned their import.

In fact, Conch shells or fragments of those shells are the 9th most confiscated item.... from tourists returning home after vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment