Saturday, October 15, 2011

Best of Mike #62

Trumpetfish swim slowly, sneaking up on unsuspecting prey.  

Or they lie motionless like a floating stick, swaying back and forth with the wave action of the water. 


I have also photographed them floating in the water, next to sea rods. When doing this, they will adopt the angles and positions in the water.... that make them look most like one of the branches on that coral.


Camoflage is a big part of their hunting technique. So, they often swim in alignment with other larger fish.... just above or below that fish. 


I think that was the case here, as this guy was more than happy to let me swim along above him, snapping all the pixtures that I wanted.


They feed almost exclusively on small fish, such as wrasses.... by sucking them suddenly into their small mouths.


They vary in color ..... anything from dark brown to green tones but it seems to me that orange and blue are the colors that I see most often.

No comments:

Post a Comment